Let me just start by saying that people who do not want to hack their iPod out of fear of breaking them, YOU CAN NOT BREAK YOUR iPOD. No matter how much it looks like you have broken your iPod you have not broken it beyond repair, this method will always fix you iPod and bring it back to factory settings. It should work most of the time with the iPhone, but there have been some reports of people breaking their phones beyond repair, so i guess this does not always work with the iPhone. But if you were sensible and bought an iPod Touch then you are free to do all the hacking you want and you will always be able to fix any problems you may have.
It is very simple and will only take a few minutes:
- Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes.
- Hold down the “Home” button.
- Keeping “home” held in hold the “sleep/wake” button.
- Keep both held in until the apple logo shows
- As soon as the apple logo shows release the “sleep/wake” button.
- Keep the “Home” button held in until the iTunes logo and a picture of the USB lead is shown.
- Now release the “Home button and follow the instructions within iTunes.
There are many reasons why this would be needed, I think on the second day I got my iPod I messed up a jailbreak and found this method, since then I have had to do this around ten times trying new jailbreaks for new versions, often iTunes does not even recognise my iPod, most people would see this as totally broken. But this method always works and always gets you up and running again. So go and hack your device as much as you want, you will always be able to get back to the start with no problems.